Construction Directory Since 2004 help its users to browse for construction information such as constractors, interior design, architecture, United State builder, international firms, material supplies.
Home About Us Link to Us Privacy Contact Us Submit Site
Construction Articles
Painting The Interior of your Property
Once you have correctly prepared your walls in order to get the professional finish that you require you will be able to start your interior painting. Your interior painting however isn't as simple as merely brushing your paint onto the walls; it should be done in certain steps, the first of which involves priming the walls.

Priming is always recommended to promote adhesion and the durability of the topcoat of paint. You should try and prime all of the walls that you are intending on painting but aspects such as walls with wallpaper, patched/repaired areas, existing oil based paint or if you are hoping for a dramatic change in colour. You need to ensure that your primer is thoroughly dried before you apply the paint to your walls.

When you open your paint tin you should always use a stick to stir the paint. Before you start to apply the coats of paint to your walls it is advised that you perform a couple of practise rolls or brush strokes so that you get a feel for what you are doing. Once you feel confident you can then get on and paint the interior of your property.

Before applying any paint to the walls of your property it is important that you first paint the ceiling of the room as well as woodwork such as the skirting board. This is to ensure that you don't accidentally get white paint on your finished walls and so that you don't end up getting paint on your ceiling and woodwork you will perform a task known as "cutting in".

The term cutting in stands for when you paint the top and bottom of your walls, right next to the ceiling and woodwork and around fitting such as light switches sockets. By doing this it leaves you free to fill in the middle with paint and stops you getting paint on the newly painted ceiling and woodwork.
You can fill in the remaining areas on your wall using either a brush or roller; however, a roller will give you the best finish and is also the quickest way of painting the interior walls of your property. You do however need to be careful when it comes to using a roller for your interior painting as you only need to press down on the roller slightly, you should let the paint on the roller do the work for you as if you press down to hard you will create paint 'ridges,' which will mean you will have to re-roll the same area to smooth the ridges out. You should then slightly overlap the roller with where you have just painted so that you create a consistent covering.

The type of paint that you use for your interior painting is completely up to you. There are many types of paint available for you to use whether you wish to use gloss paint or emulsion or matt; there are a variety available to you in many different shades so ensure that you have picked out the right one for your property.

If you are struggling with your interior painting then why not hire the help of a professional to do the job for you. This way you will achieve the professional paint job that you require and you will be able to get on with other things while it is being carried out.

Go back to construction articles page